Skip to main content

Unit 2: Establishing Contexts-- the 3 Ms



This unit we focused on establishing context-- meaningful, memorable, and motivational.  Though he discusses the importance of all three, Allen (2007) states that, " Learning experiences must always be meaningful if they are to be successful. (p.137) I fully agree. Though this is important with all learners, I find it is increasingly important when working with diverse learners who are more at risk to be disengaged, reluctant, and unconfident in their abilities as a learner.
o letter
"o letter" is licensed under CC0 1.0 
In my teaching context, I often see meaningful as being authentic and real life experiences. Though outing are an important part of my teaching, it is not practical or realistic to do them daily. What we can do though, is build on those skills necessary for various outings so that students can practice and grow and then have the opportunity to generalize when we do go out. Additionally, we do a lot of learning across settings in our school. I love to make the most of the authentic learning situations that we have around us. This includes, but is not limited to, caring for our school chickens, selling the eggs gathered to school staff, doing recycling, coop learning opportunities with the caretaker, librarian, and cafeteria worker, doing office jobs (like shredding, photocopying, collating, stapling, hole punching, etc.), participating in special school events, making phone calls to obtain information, cooking, gardening, participating in learning opportunities with or local Department of Natural Resources, and the list goes on. I feel very strongly about creating and capitalizing on existing authentic learning opportunities as much as possible. When students see that their work has value outside of them, I find they are more motivated. If they know that they are wrapping saplings for the Boston Tree cutting ceremony and send off, they know that their work has value and purpose (even though some might not fully understand the situation, they do understand that they are helping and contributing to something bigger). These are the moments I love. I am seeking to find and use more of those opportunities that make me think and feel "I love my job, this is why I do what I do."

Considering the Context, Activity, Feedback worksheet, I am including two activities I created for students who were on IPPs for functional literacy. Now after my rambling above, I would consider these activities as practice. I also do not use them in isolation. Before they complete them, we discuss them, discuss how and why what we are doing relates to their lives.

Artifact #2: Activities 

Kijiji Assignment
Kijiji: New Homepage
I used a number of years ago with some of my grade 9 English students who were on IPPs. It was a context they understood. It had meaning and was motivational for them to complete.


Finding Information: Hair
Regis Hair Salon, 2/2015, by Mike Mozart of TheToyChannel and JeepersMedia on YouTube #Regis #Hair #Salon
I have used this little activity as a way to support students in their independence and ability to locate information relevant to them. This activity came out of a discussion about a grade 12 student wanting her mom to schedule her hair appointment. At this point, this student was capable of calling to book their own appointment, but this was a big fear of hers. This was a pre-activity to making practice phone calls to ask questions to different hair salons. She had to find the information-- names of 3 salons, their hours, and any other services they offered. After she completed this, we role played phone calls until she was comfortable enough to make a phone call on her own to obtain information.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unit 5: Next Steps...

The end is near! Sometimes I find that I have more thoughts and questions at the end of a course than the beginning. However, I don't think that that is a negative thing. I think that it means I have considered different thoughts and ideas, and am open to seeing where those lead. Throughout this course I feel as though my perspective has broadened and I have another lens from which to look through while planning and designing learning opportunities. Artifact #5:PechaKucha Video The PechaKucha Presentation was new to me and put me a little outside of my comfort zone. I encountered some technical difficulties with uploading and formatting which was so frustrating, especially when I thought I would be done in a few simple clicks! However, I suppose there is a lesson to learn. I quickly wanted to give up. I can be a good problem solver and critical thinker in many situations, however, when it comes to technology, I get instantly frustrated. I imagine this is on some level how my st